Thursday, September 1, 2016

First Day of School From a New "School Mom".

The real report on Claire's first day and our First Day of School Feast will come later. 

My kid went to kindergarten today. And I didn't even cry. (Psh, got that out of the way last night. just for a second.) She was so excited this morning. We were all up at six, I helped her get ready and throw the last couple things in her backpack and take the obligatory First Day of School pictures while Ross whipped up bacon and eggs for everyone else. She asked who was going to take her. Last year the whole fam went, but now we have a baby. When I told her Dad probably would she sat for a minute and then replied, "Uhm okay, but what if someone else took me? Like Mom?"

VICTORY!!!

Guys. She loves me. She claims Ross is her favorite (not that we support having favorites) but here she was wanting ME to take her to her first day of school. ME. Evidence that I, deep down, really am the favorite.

Ross still took her. Aoife tagged along while I stayed home with Tiegan feeding Emma. When Aoife walked back through the door, I made a big deal and told her I was so glad that we were going to spend the day together. Last time we sent Claire to school, Aoife had a hard time dealing and decided to protest by refusing to poop ever again. And that was when Claire was only gone for half of the day. So, yeah. I'm pretty worried about how Aoife is going to handle having her other half gone for a good chunk of the day.

Tonight is our First Day of School Feast. (More on that to come.) We have a lot to do to prepare. The remaining girls and I climbed in the car to set off on out to-do list. First stop: Diet Coke.

We went to a local farmer's market for some produce and snagged some cider donuts and a jerky stick for Ross. After, we walked across the parking lot to a craft store to pick up some necklace chains to complete the girls' family theme charms for tonight. (they don't know about them yet.)

Then we grocery shopped and by the time we were back home it was only 10 AM. Everyone was dressed, hair done, I'm even wearing make up, we ran all of our errands and were back inside by 10 AM. What?

Emma ate and I laid her in her crib and she as out fast. Aoife and Tiegan have spent the rest of the time outside. Aoife on her scooter, found a girl across the street (also on a scooter). The two of them have been chatting from across the street for the last almost two hours. (I guess her mom has a stay on this side of the street where I can see you rule, too.)

 Every now and then Aoife will run inside to tell me something she found out about her new friend. "Mom! She is SO nice!" I brought her out a sandwich and about 10 seconds later Aoife came in to tell me her friend was going home to get a PB&J sandwich, too. Good thing I'm not pregnant, because this is exactly the kind of thing that would have me tearing up, it's so sweet.

My house is quiet and sort of clean and I'm all like, do I really have to start walking to the school in 45 minutes? School might just be the greatest thing on the planet. When can I send the other three?

No comments:

Post a Comment