Thursday, September 1, 2016

The First Day Feast.

We did it! Our First Day of School Feast. While Ross and I were discussing what we wanted this tradition to be for our family, he contributed by bringing Harry Potter into the mix. After all, at Hogwarts, there is always the Start of Term Feast. I decided to break out the ol' Harry Potter Cookbook and plan our feast.

The goal of this feast is to eat as much food as possible, talk about the kiddos' first days, and reveal our family theme for the school year. (and conclude with s'mores and watching the first Harry Potter movie)  I was having issues uploading it to have printed, and our home printer wasn't registering, so unfortunately, my wall hanging for the dramatic reveal didn't turn out, but tonight was still a success.

After Claire got home from school, we chatted, had a snack, and then I rushed the girls off for quiet time while I set to work on the feast.

I was pretty into decorating and setting up, I got started cooking a little late (whoops). Girls helped with the cooking until it was that last few minutes when everything was finishing and all burners were being used and I had no counter space to place anything hot and I lost my cool for a little bit. (everyone handled it quite well.)

Girls were pretty impressed with the spread and bellies were filled. We talked about tricky things and making mistakes and how great it is that we can always try again. Claire mentioned something that was tricky at school today (perfect) and we talked about how sometimes when we make mistakes, we learn the most and this year is going to be about learning and trying and having joy while doing so.

In cased you missed it, our Family Theme for the school year is part of a quote from President Thomas S. Monson

Displaying katieloveland .png

^The joy of trying again

I brought out the charms I had made for the girls. Unfortunately, I forgot a part to make them into necklaces for the girls, so that will come later, but each year we'll pick a new theme and they'll get a new charm to add.

honestly, I have no clue if they were even listening, they were just excited to get a present and go watch the movie, but the idea will be reinforced throughout the school year. Hopefully by May or June we'll have it down.
















No comments:

Post a Comment