Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Kindergarten Day 3.

I was really surprised when school started before Labor Day. In Oregon, it always started after. It was actually really nice to get a taste of school and routines before the holiday weekend. And it was an awesome weekend. With Claire in school and me working a couple nights a week, I really look forward to weekend time with the family. This weekend was filled with farmer's markets, walks scoping out garage sales, the outlet mall, and of course, ice cream cones. It was an insane busy weekend, but so great.

Monday night I was laying in bed a little sad that the weekend was over and in the morning we'd back back to the "normal" routine. (I still don't know what that even is.) Claire would be back to school, this time without early release which she had all last week. I was bummed she wouldn't be around all day.

Then morning came and I had three, maybe four hours of sleep and I couldn't get her backpack and shoes on her fast enough.

I think she likes it. I mean, mornings are crazy here but we talk up school and help her get excited for the day. Day 2 Aoife wanted to go to school and we had to have a little chat. Day 3 (yesterday) Tiegan howled and screamed and cried when Ross went to take Claire to school and left Tiegan standing by the door all dressed for school in her t-shirt, diaper, and Elmo slippers. School is pretty cool and the sisters want to go, too.

I picked Claire up yesterday and she was frustrated that they do the same thing in Kindergarten every day. She brought back a sheet with the alphabet on it and said it was for her to learn her letters, but since she already knew them and that Aoife could have it. Aoife knows it, so Tiegan inherited the piece of paper.

We talked about the other things she did during the school day: what she had for lunch, what she did in gym class, and what kind of math she's doing, and then I asked about her friends and we got to the juicy stuff.

One girl in her class was naughty and went into the yellow zone on her color coded behavior chart. (I guess yellow is bad, but not as bad as red. If you're in blue, it's a good thing, and when you get to purple you get a prize. Green is neutral.) I asked where she was on the chart. She said she's  not even on the chart. I have no clue what that means. Let's all hope she's Switzerland.

And then she went on--

"Well Natalia loves this boy, I don't know his name, and me and Mason are trying to break them up. It didn't happen today, so we're going to try again tomorrow. Because Natalia and him are in love and she's just a kid so it's NOT okay."

-So, uh, you and Mason are just friends too right? (I felt like it was my duty to Ross to make sure our daughter, who is playing homewrecker, wasn't also "in love" with someone in Kindergarten.) 

 After more questions I discovered that neither Natalia or this Mason kid are even in her class. News travels fast, folks. And it starts in Kindergarten. We might have to have a talk on gossiping, but for now I'm celebrating that she's not in love with anyone.

Today is Day 4 and I'm looking forward to picking up Claire and hearing if her "break up plan" was successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment